Posted in: "Seemed like a good idea at the time", "Would you want this person in Finance?", Special report
Sure, cruising in a few minutes late on a Monday might be the office norm. But ask Finance staffers what the holdup was, and you might get more than you bargained for.
The latest survey from CareerBuilder says more than one-in-ten workers (13%) admit to arriving late to work at least once a week. Another 24% say they’re late at least once a month.
Most admit to the more common causes:
- 10% said getting children ready for school or day care slowed them down
- 27% blame traffic or the weather, and
- 11% said they just fell asleep again (kudos to the honest).
Other popular reasons included forgetting something at home, not feeling well first thing in the morning and misplacing house or car keys.
But the real kicker is 20% of employees admit to making up fake excuses to explain their tardiness. How fake? Here’s the list of the top ten most unusual excuses for tardiness, along with suggestions on how to respond:
- I had to take my cat to the dentist.
(I hope you’re not sneaking “Mr. Jingles” onto our dental plan.)
- I couldn’t find the right tie, so I had to wait for stores to open so I could buy one.
(But you’re wearing a polo shirt …)
- I saw that you weren’t in the office, so I went looking for you.
(I was looking for a replacement employee who’d always be on time.)
- My son/daughter tried to flush our ferret/lizard/cockatoo down the toilet, and I needed to tend to the animal.
(We have plenty of bathrooms here for that kind of thing.)
- I dreamed that I was fired, so I didn’t want to get out of bed.
(Maybe you should stay in bed next time.)
- I stopped for a bagel sandwich, the store was robbed and the police kept everyone there for questioning.
(Did you bring enough sandwiches for everyone else?)
- I ran over a goat.
(Make sure you write off the depreciation on your car.)
- A bee flew in my car and attacked me, so I had to pull over.
(Didn’t you get the memo on carpooling?)
- I made it all the way to the office before I realized I was still in my pajamas.
(Hey, it’s casual Friday, you should have come right in!)
- I wet my pants and went home to change.
(No excuse — I keep Depends on-hand for month-end closings.)
Popularity: 15% [?]